Sunday, 7 June 2009
THE BUZZ REPORT: What It Is...
* Rapper Nas and reggae star Damian Marley have been cooking up a few surprises, and now we know one of them: a new collaboration album titled Distant Relatives. The pair had been recording quietly in Los Angeles for the last several months. Nas' manager, Anthony Saleh, told Billboard that the album will most likely be released before the end of the summer. But which label will release it? Nas is signed to Def Jam, while Marley is tied to Universal Records. Nevertheless, the album may also be released in a special edition exclusively through Best Buy or Target, in addition to its regular release. A percentage of the proceeds will go toward building a school in Africa, though details are still being ironed out. Meanwhile, both artistes will share the stage (together!) on International Night II at Reggae Sumfest on July 25. Talk about giving us the best of both worlds.
* Jazmine Sullivan for Reggae Sumfest? Oh, hell yes. “I bust the windows out your car…” That is the jam!
* Speaking of Reggae Sumfest, I glimpsed the name of gospel deejay Prodigal Son on the line-up for Dancehall Night. Is this a first for the ‘gospel’ fraternity?
* Sade is set to return to the recording booth after nearly ten years. Original diva Whitney Houston (whose new album drops this September) ain't the only one looking to make a comeback.
* Rapper Snoop Dogg wants to release a reggae album and is reportedly in the midst of the recording process with members of the Marley family at his home studio on the West Coast. No wonder yet on the title but I wonder how the whole project will turn out.
* ‘Tis the high season for style, fashion and fabulosity. On the heels of the recent successful Table Talk Food Awards, the Style Observer is gearing up for the 2009 Style Awards. Some of my favourite people are up for the coveted People’s Choice Award: Tifa, Konshens, Kiki, Laden and Ce’Cile. The Digicel voting lines are now open.
* In other fashion/style/pretty people news, Nia Long, Eve and Miss Kelly are expected to grace the catwalk at Caribbean Fashion Week (CFW) this year. Sidebar: Who can forget the scandalous feline ‘clash’ last year? An unforgettable sideshow if ever there was one. The gossipmongers say all eyes and ears will be wide open in case any such ‘action’ goes down this year. There is even talk of extra batteries for the digital cameras and camcorders. Stay tuned!