STRONG FINISH: Male 5K winner Henry Thomas (centre) and his runners-up (Kemar Leslie and David Pusey) share a candid shot with event sponsors.
FOR Romario Samuels, brand manager of Crystal Spring, the biggest reward that has come with their debut as title sponsors of the Run for Your Heart 5K is the nearly 50 percent increase in the number of persons participating.
“We had over 1,200 persons registering and coming out to do the run and the walk, and that’s about a 45 percent increase in the numbers,” he tells TALLAWAH inside New Kingston’s Emancipation Park on Sunday morning, as the day’s activities slipped into high gear.
Now in its third year, the 5K Run/Walk, the brainchild and major fundraiser of the Heart Foundation of Jamaica (HFJ), has always received sponsorship support from the spring water company, but 2019 marks their very first outing as title sponsors. And according to Samuels, the extra effort put into the planning and preparation, coupled with financial investment, has paid off.
“We said we would try to do more with advertising and marketing and social media, and in so doing we managed to garner the interest of more persons,” he reports. It’s a successful partnership with the HFJ that he feels can get even better. “For successive events,” Samuels notes, “we hope it grows.”
In addition to Crystal Spring, this year’s raft of sponsors include (among others) Purity, Foska Oats, Sun City Radio and Mountain Peak, all of whom set up booths inside the park, attracting scores of fitness enthusiasts.
>> The Results Are In: Winners of the 2019 Run for Your Heart 5K events
1. 5K Run – Male: Henry Thomas – UCD Steppers (Runners-up: Kemar Leslie – Rainforest Seafoods and David Pusey – Carimed)
2. 5K Run – Female: Jozivanne Deer – PUMA (Runners-up: Michelle Riley – PUMA and Jozanne Harris – JamDammers)
3. 2K Run – Male: Odaine Davidson
4. 2K Run – Female: Gabriel Wellington
5. Largest Team: Ministry of Health
6. Youth Award (Under 17): Caleb Dixon and Malia Ruperell
7. Champion Team: Digicel
8. 5K Walk – Male: Duel Allen – Shizzle Fit (Runners-up: Lenworth Hunter – Independent and Oshea Morgan – Shizzle Fit
9. 5K Walk – Female: Annakay Swaby – Shizzle Fit (Runners-up: Paula Sinclair – UCD Steppers and Patricia Grant – NCU FM